The "gig economy" — as it is currently formed — cannot support a household, a family, or even a meaningful, fulfilling life.
Where can serious professionals gain self-employed independence without having to sacrifice earning potential, adequately challenging work, and engaging relationships? Where can experienced, serious professionals legitimately make a living in the remote economy?
At Gun.io, we've fixed this.
Over a rolling 12-month period we have collected data representing more than 30,000 hours of project and product development work. Having analyzed that data, we have arrived at a prime definition of the ideal contributor, a persona we have defined as the Professional Freelancer.
The Professional Freelancer is a full-time, self-employed crafts(wo)man.
The Professional Freelancer is not a “side hustler” or “moonlighter." They are available, present, and accountable during North American daylight hours. The PF enjoys being challenged across two to three simultaneous projects, each of which they would be willing to deliver with their name emblazoned on the result.
The Professional Freelancer craves and responds well to the rewards and responsibilities of self-employment. At Gun.io we seek, engage, and reward the Professional Freelancer.
Positions worth having are worth patience and commitment to attain. Top PF earners on Gun.io achieve annual earnings approaching $200,000 per year while working between 30 and 40 hours/week, with the average working between 20 to 30 hours/week, earning $120,000 per year.
The best of the best members of Gun.io earn the opportunity to:
- Work for themselves in a results-oriented meritocracy
- Work remotely, from home or from any location, full-time
- Exercise and sharpen their communication, collaboration, and leadership skills
- Contribute their career best practices and see them brought to fruition
- Work with teams of highly specialized, motivated peers
- Collaborate with performance-focused, right-sized management teams for total backing
- Focus on practice areas in which they are a 9- or a 10-level crafts(wo)man
- Work with other 9s and 10s as a fully-empowered product delivery team
- Set stretch goals for their 7- or 8-level areas with team and leadership support for growth
- Coach and empower their teammates to mutually maximized performance
- Develop enduring professional relationships in a choice-based culture of performance
Gun.io is not another marketplace with streams of race-to-the-bottom “gigs” that devalue true crafts(wo)men practitioners. We abhor business models that encourage low quality, low price, and low durability engagements. We turn away clients seeking quick-and-dirty one-off jobs who fail to respect US market rates.
- We only accept clients with interesting product development challenges
- We only accept clients who interested in maintaining durable and enduring freelance relationships
- We only accept clients who are willing to pay top dollar for top talent
- We back our Professional Freelancer (PF) teams 100% during conflict
- We maintain strict scrum discipline and quality standards
- We remove low-performing team members quickly and with dignity
- We honor your feedback with expedient, transparent communication and implementation
- We compensate at market rates with integrity, durability, and fairness
- We honor PF crafts(wo)men with a guild-like, disciplined mentality
If you’re interested, apply to join our exclusive community.
We’re seeking Product Managers, ScrumMasters, UI/UX professionals, designers, project managers, full-stack developers, front-end developers, back-end developers, QA, DevOps, SecOps, etc. If you consider yourself a member of the technology community — we've got a client looking to engage you.
Direct feedback from current Professional Freelancers:
- “Gun.io’s been great, it’s made freelancing better in so many ways.”
- “There’s visible improvement, it’s not just lip service;” “this business is about freedom, love, trust.”
- “Working with Gun.io has, for the first time, allowed me to fit work into my life instead of life into my work.”
- “Gun.io is the only company I’ve come across so far that I would work as a freelancer for indefinitely.”
- “I love the fact that I don’t have to manage accounting, finding new clients, billing --- all that.”
- “Yes, I’m a contractor, but I feel empowered. Everybody gets to run their own piece of the pie.”
- “[Gun.io is] not just a marketplace, but a company, a culture, and a community.”
- “Gun.io has felt the most professional out of all other platforms, with a standout sense of community and culture.”
See the screengrab below for a sample of a recent conversation in one of our Slack channels ... kind of says it all.
Names are removed for privacy.